“El Capricho de los Montes” is included within the network of ecotourism destination in Spain, is more than just a place to rest, it’s an idea and way of life that reflects some environmental values of respect and integration with nature we want to promote with our example.
The tremendous growth of tourism in Spain has caused environmental degradation with the construction of new hotels most of which do not have a policy of sustainability and environmental preservation. That‘s the reason because “El Capricho de los Montes” want to be one of the pioneers in promoting ecotourism, where the supply of tourist accommodation is not incompatible with the conservation and enhancement of the environment.
But… What exactly is Ecotourism?
Ecotourism is a booming trend resulting from increased public awareness about preserving the environment that attempts to prevent excessive growth of tourist establishments and unaware that damage the environment.
The hotels eco-conscious aim, preserve and promote the sustainability of the place where they are established, raising awareness to the guests about the importance of conservation of nature: reusing the waste generated, building facilities with bioclimatic materials, promoting farming without pesticides and especially considering the welfare of local populations.
Ecotourism destination in Spain “El Capricho de los Montes”
Here we show what are the fundamental factors that make “El Capricho de Los Montes” is framed within the network of ecotourism in Spain.
We knew as we wanted our country house and for that we contacted an expert in Geobiology, Daniel Rubio Francisco Guerrero, and for the implementation project we hired an expert in green building, Lucas Luis Ruiz, from the Architects Association of Toledo. We wanted a healthy country house inclusive and quality, harmoniously combining innovation and tradition. A house with materials that do not harm the environment or the health of people who enjoy and which reflects our efforts to promote environmental values with our customers and expand environmental awareness and ecotourism.
- Bearing walls of lime mortar and white cement and rustic brick was stuffed with shredded natural cork and wooden beams that support the building.
- Wood and mud floors
- Ecological and healthy paintings
[title]Energy and water management[/title]
Both for heating and for domestic hot water, clean energy are used. The proper use of energy is a key to be a ecotourism destination in Spain.
- Solar panels to heat water.
- Biomass boiler for heating and hot water in winter.
- Low Power LED Bulbs
- Isolation of windows with thermal break and climalix crystals.
- Solar Lights for outside.
- Efficient appliances
- Taps and showers of low consumption.
- Cisterns for rainwater harvesting 220,000 and 40,000 liters for garden irrigation.
- Solar shower at the pool and pool heating with the sun.
As with the management of energy, good reusability and managing the waste we generate is a fundamental practice within a hotel establishment that promotes ecotourism, is the reason why it is one of the points where we put more attention.
- Separation of waste plastics, and glass containers
- Utilization of organic waste for compost.
- Hard bread for hens.
- Oil to make soap and combat pests in the garden
- Using paper and cardboard to light the chimneys, barbecue and wood oven.
- All polluting products such as batteries, are thrown in their containers.
Surrounding the house and pool have created a natural garden with native trees and shrubs resistant, aromatic and medicinal plants and flowers, insects and animals inhabited. We use natural fertilizers, compost and animal manure.
[title]Ecological swimming pool[/title]
- Pool with clean salt chlorination and the same pH of the skin, healthier for humans.
- Depth between 1 and 1.50 meters to minimize water usage.
- Solar blanket to keep the chill water at night and heat the water for the day.
- Solar shower
A garden for all to enjoy with products like:
- Fruit trees.
- Garden products: watermelon, cantaloupe, tomatoes, peppers, zucchini, cucumber, lettuce, spinach, chard, cabbage, red cabbage, carrot, radish, arugula, eggplant, onion, leek.
Natural and not contaminated with chemicals. Naturally fertilize with compost and combat pests with natural remedies.
[title]CERES EcoTur certified[/title]
Our country house “El Capricho de los Montes” has the CERES certified of sustainable accommodation that meets the requirements of sustainability and environmental conservation, identifying in this way with the values promoted by the association:
- Sustainable agriculture: Contributing actively in creating a sustainable farming without the use of chemicals and genetically modified components, offering quality food and food-based own grown in the orchards and gardens of our rural accommodation.
- Cultural heritage: Caring for the traditions and culture of the place, appreciating the value to the sustainable development of the local economy
- Nature Conservation: Conservation of nature surrounding the establishment and creation of activities that promote environmental consciousness.
- Natural Resources: Efficient and sustainable use of resources which are available, waste and energy savings.
Seven key components of ecotourism
- Tourism activity should generate the fewest negative impacts for both the environment and the community.
- Environmental and cultural awareness must be generated in guests and community.
- Should elicit positive experiences for both visitors and hosts.
- Should affect direct financial benefits for conservation of the environment.
- It should strengthen the participation of local communities in decision-making.
- Promote political, social and environmental sensitivity of the host countries.
- Universal human rights and labor laws of the host country should be supported.